RARDC (Bandarawela) - Research and Publications
|Title/ Program||Objective||Expected Outcome|
|Phenotyping of recommended pole bean varieties/ breeding lines for adaptation to drought||1 . Identification of drought tolerance sources in local and exotic germplasm|
2. Phenotyping their root and shoot traits
3. Identification of phenotypic traits related to adaptation to drought
|Enhance the productivity of bean in drought conditions|
|Evaluation of effect of low P application on crop yield and soil P accumulation||To identify methods to reduce P application avoiding enrichment of soil P levels||Reduction of soil phosphorus accumulation without yield reduction|
|Testing of special fertilizers on Up Country vegetables||To find out effect of special fertilizers on yield and quality of UC vegetables||Reduce overuse of fertilizers|
|Screening of tomato germplasm for bacterial wilt resistance||To identify resistant/ tolerant/ susceptible tomato germplasm||Enhance the productivity of tomato by reducing disease|
|In-silico analysis of molecular markers to be used in screening of tomato germplasm for biotic and abiotic stresses||To identify markers to be used in MABB||Enhance the productivity of tomato by reducing disease|
|Testing of degree day model for regional prediction of whitefly (Bemisia tabaci) population and timing pest management practices.||To evaluate the possibility of utilization of degree day model for effective management of whitefly (Bemisia tabaci) in pole bean||Use degree-day model as a predictive tool for Bemisia tabaci activity in the field and to timing management|
|Effect of eco-friendly insect screens as physical barriers to reduce pest problems in cabbage||To evaluate the efficacy and financial feasibility of insect exclusion nets on pest population and yield of cabbage||Enhance the productivity of cabbage by reducing pest damage|
|Screening of insecticides against major insect pests of vegetables/ floricultural crops in UCIMZ||To test bio efficacy of new insecticides/miticides against major insect pests of vegetables/floricultural crops||Availability of effective and low toxic insecticides to manage insect pests of vegetables|
|Effect of different pruning systems on sweet pepper production in poly-tunnel||To increase fruit quality and yield||Produce export quality sweet peppers|
|Screening fungicides against major diseases of vegetables/ floricultural crops in UCIMZ||To test the bio efficacy of new fungicides||Availability of effective and safe fungicides|
|Evaluation of different growing systems to reduce pests/ diseases and improve quality and yield in rose cultivation||To identify best rose growing system||Improved quality and quantity of rose flowers|
|Effect of exogenous application of salicylic acid and active yeast on bean under drought stress||To increase the yield at low moisture stress||Enhance the productivity of bean in drought conditions|
|Effect of different soil amendments on soil moisture retention and growth of bean.||To increase moisture retention, germination and survivability||Enhance the productivity of bean in drought conditions|
|Evaluation of exotic tomato , cucumber and sweet pepper varieties in poly-tunnel/open field||To identify best exotic vegetable varieties for commercial cultivation||Increased availability of vegetables|
- T Mahalingam, W Chen, CS Rajapakse, KP Somachandra Renuka Nilmini Attanayake. 2020. Genetic Diversity and Recombination in the Plant Pathogen Sclerotinia sclerotiorum Detected in Sri Lanka. Pathogens 9 (4), 306
- T Mahalingam, CSK Rajapakse, KP Somachandra, RN Attanayake. 2020. Carbon source dependent-anaerobic soil disinfestation (ASD) mitigates the sclerotial germination of Sclerotinia sclerotiorum. Tropical Plant Pathology, 1-12
- T Mahalingam, KP Somachandra, C Rajapakse, R Attanayake. 2020. Efficacy of anaerobic soil disinfestation on the germination of sclerotia of Sclerotinia sclerotiorum. International Congress of Plant Pathology (ICPP) 2018: Plant Health in a Global Economy
- Senanayake, N.S., Somachandra, K.P., Hadji, T.K.A.I., Kularathne, K.D.M., Dharmasena, A. (2019). Stump suckers as planting materials in cabbage cultivation. Annals of the Sri Lanka Department of Agriculture
- M.N.Dissanayake, W.M.W.S.Marapana, H.G.B.Darshana, O.W.S.H.Ariyathilaka, T.M.V.J.Kumarasinghe. (2019). Heterosis Amoung Pole Bean Genotypes for Yield and Yield Associated Traits. Proceeding of the International Research Conference, Uva Wellassa University, Badulla.
- Jayasekara, E.A.E.S.S., Somachandra, K.P., Gunawardhana, K.K.N.N., Somasiri, G.A.R., Gunasekara, W.M.S. 2019. Preliminary validation of potato late blight forecasting models to predict the initial occurrence of disease and its management by fungicide spraying. Annals of the Department of Agriculture.
- Pavithrani Y.L.B. and Fonseka H.D. (2019). Effect of harvesting time on the seed yield and quality of common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.).
- Y.L.B.Pavithrani, H.D.Fonseka. (2019). Effect of Harvesting time on the seed yield and quality of common bean for seed production (Phasiolus vulgaris L.). Annals of Sri Lanka Department of Agriculture.
- Hadji, T.K.A.I., Somachandra, K.P., Weligamage, S.S., Nishantha, K.M.D.W.P., Senanayake, N.S., Kularathne, K.D.M., Gamage, H.G.C.W.,Dharmasena, A., Marasinghe, J.P. and Priyadarshani , S.D.K.. (2019). Evaluation of management strategies of Tutaabsoluta(Lepidoptera: Gelechiidae) in tomato.
- Dissanayake, R.N., Marapana, W.M.W.S., Darshana, H.G.B., Ariyathilaka, O.W.S.H. and Kumarasingha, T.M.V.J. 2019. Heterosis among pole bean genotypes for yield and yield associated traits.
- Pavithrani, Y.L.B, and Piyasena, H.M.(2018). Effect of plant spacing on seed yield and yield contributing parameters of common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.).
- Premachandra, K.J. a, Gamage, G.G.S.U.,Perera, P.I.P. (2018) .In Vitro screening of tomato (Solanum lycopersicum L.) germplasm for water stress condition induced by polyethylene glycol. Annals of the Sri Lanka Department of Agriculture
- Kularathna, K.D.M.,Somachandra, K.P., Jayasekara, E.A.E.S.S. and Dissanayaka, M.L.M.C.(2018).Strain diversity and host range variability of Sclerotinia sclerotiarum the white mould pathogen of cabbage.
- Dissanayake, R.M.N., Nakandala, N.D.U.S., Nawanjana, P.W.I., Rathnayake, R.M.S.K., Senavirathna, H.M.T.N., Senevirathne, R.W.K.M., Wijesundara, W.M.D.A., Ranaweera L.T., Ariyathilaka, O.W.S.H., Weebadde, C.K and Sooriyapathirana, S.D.S.S. (2018).Diversity analysis of selected Solanum species in Sri Lanka using molecular and morphological descriptors.
- Gamage, G.G.S.U., Udage, A.C., Alwis, L.M.H.R., Marapana, W.M.W.S. and Ariyathilake, O.W.S.H. (2018). Gamma radiation sensitivity and effective dosage for seeds of tomato variety Katugastota Wilt Resistant.
- Jayamanne J.M.D.D.E., Hapuhinna, H.K.G.I.S.B.,Kumarasinghe, H.K.M.S.,Elangeswaran, A.,Dharmasena, H.M.V.S., Dharshana, A.M.R. and Jayasinghe, C.D. (2018). A vertical growing method for seed potato (Solanum tuberosum) production.
- Jayasekara, E.A.E.S.S., Somachandra, K.P.,Gunasekara, W.M.S., Somasiri, G.A.R. and Gunawardena K.K.N.N. (2018). Intercropping for the management of rust and angular leaf spot in bean.
- Dissanayaka, N.B.U. Somachandra, K.P., Abeykoon A.J.M.A.C. and Chandrasena W.M.H.P. (2018). Effect of propagation media on rooting of Chrysanthemum morifolium stem cuttings: Alternative substrate for propagation via stem cuttings.
- A.Shirani,M.M.Mubian,J.A.Samanthi,Thayamini ,H.Seran. (2018). Effect of Different Levels of Sugar and Incubation Temperature on Microtuberization of Potato (Solanum tuberosum L.). International Potato Symposium, 149-156.
- A.E.S.S.Jayasekara, K.P.Somachandra, W.M.S.Gunasekara, G.A.R.Somasiri, K.K.N.N.Gunawardhana. (2018). Intercropping for the Management of Rust and Angular Leaf Spot in Bean. Annals of Sri Lanka Department of Agriculture, 20.
- G.S.U.Gamage,A.C.Udage,L.M.H.R.Alwis,W.M.W.S.Marapana,O.W.S.H.Ariyathilake. (2018). Gamma Radiation Sensitivity and Effective Dosage for Seeds of Tomato Variety Katugastota Wilt Resistant. Tropical Agriculture, VOL.166(2).
- D.M.Kularathna, K.P.Somachandra, E.A.E.S.S.Jayasekara, M.L.M.C.Dissanayake. (2018). Strain Diversity and Host Range Variability of Sclerotinia sclerotiorum, the White Mould Pathogen of Cabbage. Tropical Agriculture, VOL.166(2).
- J.Premachandra,G.G.S.U.Gamage,P.I.P.Perera. (2018). In-Vitro Screening of Tomato ( Solanum Lycopersicum L.) Germplasm for water Stress Condition Induced by Polyethylene Glycol. Agriculture Research Symposium, 266-270.
- M.N.Dissanayake,N.D.U.Nalakalanda,P.W.I.Nawanjana,R.M.S.K.Rathnayake,H.M.T.N.Senavirathna,R.W.K.M.Senavirathne,W.M.D.A.Wijesundara. (2018). Diversity Analysis of Selected Solanum Species in Sri Lanka using Molecular and Morphological Descriptors. Thirtieth Annual Congress of the PGIA.
- T Mahalingam, BMA Guruge, KP Somachandra, E Jayasekara, Renuka Nilmini Attanayake. 2018. Phenotypic variation of cabbage white mold pathogen, Sclerotinia sclerotiorum in the upcountry commercial cabbage fields in Sri Lanka. Journal of the National Science Foundation of Sri Lanka 46 (2)
- T Mahalingam, KP Somachandra, CSK Rajapakse, RN Attanayake. 2018. Evaluation of fungicide resistance of Sclerotinia sclerotiorum causing cabbage white mold in Sri Lanka. International Research Symposium on Pure and Applied Sciences, 2017. Faculty of Science, University of Kelaniya, Sri Lanka.
- AbeykoonA.J.M.A. and Chandrasena W. M. P. H. (2018). “පිපුනුමලේරුව – ෆියුසියා”.
- B.U.Dissanayake,K.P.Somachandra,A.J.M.A.C. Abeykoon,W.M.H.P.Chandrasena. (2018). Effect of Propagation Media on Rooting of Chrysanthemum Morifolium stem Cutting: Analternative Substrate for Propagation Via Stem Cutting. Annals of Sri Lanka Department of Agriculture, 20:163.
- Edirimanna, I.C.S., Dharmasena, H.M.V.S. and Darshana, A.M.R. (2017). A case study on current status and emerging challenges of protected Agriculture in Badulla district.
- Hadji, T.K.A.I., Somachandra, K.P., Kamalinie, S.N., Kularathne, K.D.M. and Senanayake, N.S. (2017). Small-scale farmers’ perception on pesticide usage: a case study from intensive vegetable growing areas in Welimada, Sri Lanka.
- Jayamanne, J.M.D.D.E., Fonseka, H.H., Nissanka, S.P., Jayasinghe, C.D., Darmasena, H.M.V.S., Darshana, A.M.R. and Samaraweera, S.M.U.I. (2017). Yield and Quality evaluation of potato varieties (Solanumtuberosum) grown in different agro-ecological regions.
- Jayasekara, E.A.E.S.S., Somachandra, K.P., Gunawardhana, K.K.N.N., Somasiri, G.A.R. and Gunasekara, W.M.S. (2017). Preliminary validation of potato late blight forecasting models to predict the initial occurrence of disease and its management by fungicide spraying.
- Pavithrani, Y. L. B., Wijewardhana, K.G.U and Ariyarathne, J.D. (2017). Preliminary agronomic evaluation of quinoa(Chenopodium quinoaWilld.) In up country intermediate zone Sri Lanka
- L.B.Pavithrani,K.G.U.Wijewardhane,J.D.Ariyarathne. (2017). Preliminary Agronomic Evaluation of Quinoa (Chenopodium quinoa willd.) in Up Country Intermediate Zone in Sri Lanka. Annals of Sri Lanka Department of Agriculture, 19(2):228-231.
- M.H.R.Alwis, R.M.N.Dissanayake, S.S. Udumann. (2017). Comparison of Germplasm Diversity in Common Bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) Collected in 2010 and 2016 from Badulla and Nuwara Eliya District. Proceeding of the International Research Symposium, Uva Wellassa University, Badulla.
- Y.L.B.Pavithrani, K.G.U.Wijewardhane, J.D.Ariyarathne. (2017). Preliminary Agronomic Evaluation of quinoa (Chenopodium quinoa Willd.) in up Country Intermediate Zone in Sri Lanka. Annals of Sri Lanka Department of Agriculture , 228-231.
- A.E.S.S.Jayasekara, K.P.Somachandra, K.K.N.N.Gunawardhana, G.A.R.Somasiri, W.M.S.Gunasekara. (2017). Preliminary validation of Potato Late Blight Forecasting Models to Predict the Initial Occurrence of Disease and its Management by Fungicide Spraying. Annals of Sri Lanka Department of Agriculture, 19:72-83.
- M.N.Dissanayake,H.G.B.Darshana,W.M.W.S.Marapana. (2017). Genetic Diversity analysis of Brinjal (Solannum melonginn L.) Accessions Grown in Up Country Intermediate Zone of Sri Lanka Using Morphological Traits. Annuals of Sri Lanka Department of Agriculture, 19(2):138-145.
- K.A.I.Hadji, K.P.Somachandra, S.N.Kamalanie, K.D.M.Kularathne, N.S.Senanayake. (2017). Small- Scale Farmers’ Perception on Pesticide Usage: A Case Study From Intensive Vegetable Growing Areas in Welimada, Sri Lanka. Annals of Sri Lanka Department of Agriculture, 19 (2): 269-273.
- M.D.D.E.Jayamanne,H.H.Fonseka,S.P.Nissanka,C.D.Jayasinghe,H.M.V.S.Dharmasena,A.M.Dharshana,S.M.U.I.Samaraweera. (2017). Yield and quality Evaluation of Potato varieties (Solanum tuberosum) Grown in Different Agro-Ecological Regions. Annals of Sri Lanka Department of Agriculture, 19:176-193.
- A.Shirani,A.Samanthi. (2012). A Simple Mass Propagation Protocol for Baby’s Breath (Gypsophila paniculata L.). Annals of Sri Lanka Department of Agriculture, 14:125-133.
- A.Shirani,J.A.Samanthi. (2008). Effect of Jasmonic Acid on Microtuber Production of Potato (Solanum tuberosum L.). International Potato Symposium, 143-148.
- A.Shirani,J.A.Samanthi,M.M.Nugaliyadde. (2008). Tissue Culture Technique for Seed Potato Production and its Achievement in Sri Lanka. Global Potato Conference.
- A.E.S.S.Jayasekara, K.P.Somachandra. (n.d.). Common Diseases of Crops Grown in Poly-tunnel in Up Country Intermediate Zone and their Management.
- A.E.S.S.Jayasekara, K.P.Somachandra, G.D.G.Chathurani, K.K.N.N.Gunawardhana. (2015). Response of selected Cultivars and Fungicides on Chrysanthemum White Rust, Caused by Puccinia Horiana (henn). National Symposium of Floriculture Research.
- A.E.S.S.Jayasekara, K.P.Somachandra, W.M.S.Gunasekara, K.K.N.N.Gunawardhana, G.A.R.Somasiri. (2016). An action Threshold and a fungicide Spraying Schedule for Rust and Angular Leaf Spot in Bean. Annals of Sri Lanka Department of Agriculture , 18:241-244.
- K.E.C.Nayana, D.M.R.Dassanayake, M.M.U.De Silva. (2016). Relationship Between Climate Factors, Flowering And Fruit Set of Asian Pear (Pyrus Pyrifolia). Annual of Sri Lanka Department of Agriculture, 18:286.
- K.E.C.Nayana, D.M.R.Dassanayake, Y.L.B.Pavithrani, M.A.L.N.Mallawaarachchi. (2016). Evaluation of Fruiting Ability and Fruit Quality Through Different Training System of Apple. Annals of Sri Lanka Department of Agriculture, 18:139-143.
- D.G.Chathurani,K.P.Somachandra,S.N.Kamalinie,A.J.M.A.Abeykoon. (2015). Presents Status of Floriculture Industry in Badulla District. Annals of Sri Lanka Department of Agriculture, 17:315-320.
- D.G.Chathurani,K.P.Somachndra,A.J.M.A.Abeykoon. (2015). Manipulation of Day Length to Control Flowering in Chrysanthemum (Chrysanthemum Morifolium Ramat). Annals of Sri Lanka Department of Agriculture, 17:382A.
- A.Samanthi,A.J.M.A.Abeykoon,W.M.H.P.Chandrasena,G.D.G.Chathurani,K.P.Somachandra. (2015). A Simplified Method for Rapid Multiplication of Lily Plantlets in-vitro. National Symposium on Floriculture Research.
- A.Samanthi,G.D.G.Chathurangani,K.P.Somachandra. (2015). Use of Low Cost Alternatives to Micro Propagation of Floricultural Crops in Household Level. Annals of Sri Lanka Department of Agriculture, 17:364.
- G.S.U.Gamage,H.M.P.Pushpika,W.A.J.M.De Costa,M.M.Nugaliyadde. (2015). Effect of Cold Storage Duration of Seed Tubers on the Growth and Yield Performance of Potato Variety Granola. Annals of Sri Lanka Department of Agriculture, 17:111-113.
- N.B.U.Dissanayake,G.D.G.Chathurani,W.M.H.P.Chandrasena,A.J.M.A.C. Abeykoon,J.A.Samanthi. (2016). Morphological Characterization of Gerber (Gerbera jamesonii L.) Accessions at Regional Agriculture Research and Development Center, Bandarawela. National Symposium on Floriculture Research.
- T.K.A.I.Hadji, K.P.Somachndra, G.D.G.Chathurani, J.M.S.K.Jayaweera, K.D.M.Kularathne, R.M.Leelawathie. (2016). Bio-Efficacy of Botanical Extracts Against Aphid Population in Roses and Chrysanthemum. National Symposium of Floriculture Research.
- M.H.P.Chandrasena,A.J.M.A.Abeykoon,J.A.Samanthi,G.D.G.Chathurani,K.M.S.Kodikara. (2015). Response of NPK on Flower Yield of Symphytotricum Lanceolatum in Commercial Cultivation. National Symposium on Floriculture Research.
- K.M.S.Kodikara, R.M.R.K.Ramanayake, K.P.Somachandra, S.M.K.G.Yatagama, C.P.Udawatte. (2015). An Appropriate Extraction Method to Determine Plant Available Phosphorus in Agricultural Soils of the Up- Country Intermediate Zone of Sri Lanka. Annals of Sri Lanka Department of Agriculture, 17:10-13.
- Y.L.B.Pavithrani, H.M.Piyasena. (2018). Effect of plant spacing on seed yield and yield contributing parameters of common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.). Annals of Sri Lanka Department of Agriculture.
- Y.L.B.Pavithrani, C.J.Karunarathne, K.P.Somachandra. (2016). Effect of minimum temperature fluctuation during dormancy period on total harvestable yield of pear (Pyrus Pyrifolia) in up Country Intermediate Zone of Sri Lanka. Annals of Sri Lanka Department of Agriculture, 237-240.
- K.P.Somachndra,G.D.G.Chathurani,A.J.M.A.Abeykoon. (2013). The Influence of Gibberellic Acid on Flower Production and Quality of Cut Chrysanthemum Under Poly Tunnel Conditions. National Symposium on Floriculture Research.
- K.M.S.Kodikara, K.A.N.K.Darmasiri. (2013). A Simplifies Structure (Hanging Bucket) for Pre Basic Seed Production of Potato. Annals of Sri Lanka Department of Agriculture, 15:383.
- K.P.Somachandra, G.A.R.Somasiri, W.M.S.Gunasekara. (2013). Pinus (Pinus Caribaea) Needles as a Substrate Constituent in Soilless Media of Tomato in Projected Culture. Annals of Sri Lanka Department of Agriculture, 15:375.
- K.P.Somachandra, W.M.S.Gunasekara, G.A.R.Somasiri. (2012). Response of Cabbage Varieties to Soft Rot(Erwinia Carotovora) and Black Rot (Xanthomonas Campestris) Diseases. Annals of the Sri Lanka Department of Agriculture, 14:161-172.
- R.S.S.Gunasinghe,L.M.H.R.Alwis,H.M.P.S.Kumari,J.A.Samanthi. (2012). Improvement of Micro-tuber Production Protocol for Potato Variety Granola to Increase Quality and Quantity of Micro-tubers. Proceeding of Research Symposium of Uva Wellassa University.
- Umesha Dheerasinghe,D.A.Shirani,P.E.Kaliyadasa,J.A.Samanthi. (2011). A Protocol for in-vitro Propagation of Hybrid Limonium. National Symposium on Floriculture Research.
- M.P.S.Kumari,J.A.Samanthi,H.A.L.H.K.Herath,K.R.S.C.B.Kahawandala ,M.M.Nugaliyadde. (2014). In-Vitro Propagation of Statice (Limonium Sinuatum). Annals of Sri Lanka Department of Agriculture, 16:387.
- M.P.S.Kumari,S.K.Wasala,J.A.Samanthi,K.R.S.C.B.Kahawandala,B.M.J.Pusweldeniya,N.M.Ubeysekara,M.M.Nugaliyadde. (2013). Characterization of Eight Eco-Population Types of the Potato (Solanum Tuberosum L) Variety, Granola, Collected from Up Country Region of Sri Lanka. Annals of Sri Lanka Department of Agriculture, 15:263-272.
- A.Samanthi,H.M.P.S.Kumari,H.A.L.H.K.Herath,A.Shirani,M.M.Nugaliyadde. (2013). Development of in-Vitro Establishment and Multiplication Technology From Gerbera Flower Buds. Annals of Sri Lanka Department of Agriculture, 15:305-309.
- A.Samanthi,H.M.P.S.Kumari,H.A.L.H.K.Herath,K.R.S.C.B.Kahawandala ,M.M.Nugaliyadde. (2014). In-Vitro Regeneration of Chrysanthemum (Chrysanthemum Morifolium L.) Using Nodal Segments and Immature Flowers Buds. Annals of Sri Lanka Department of Agriculture, 16:375.
- M.D.D.E.Jayamanna,H.K.G.I.S.B.Hapuhinna,H.K.M.S.K.Kumarasinghe,A.Elangeswarana,H.M.V.S.Dharmasena,A.M.R.Darshana,C.D.Jayasinghe. (2010). A vertical Growing Method for Seed Potato (Solanum Tuberosum) Production. Annals of Sri Lanka Department of Agriculture, 20.
- M.D.D.E.Jayamanna, H.M.V.S.Dharmasena. (2013). Suitability and Economic Impact of Intercropping Potato (Solanum Tuberosum L.) and Maize (Zea Maize L.) in Uplands During Yala Season in the Up Country Intermediate Zone. Annals of Sri Lanka Department of Agriculture, 15:365.
- M.D.D.E.Jayamanne, H.M.V.S.Dharmasena. (2010). Effect of Plant Density on Yield And Quality of Capsicum (Capsicum annuum L.) in Up Country Intermediate Zone. Annals of the Sri Lanka Department of Agriculture, 12:277-281.
- M.D.D.E.Jayamanne,A.Elangeshawaran,K.D.Harris,H.M.V.S.Dharmasena. (2015). Market Demand for Head Size of Cabbage and Suitable Plant Spacing for Down Sizing it to Meet the Demand. Annals of Sri Lanka Department of Agriculture, 17:144-153.
- K.M.S.Kodikara, K.P.Somachandra, S.M.Wijesundara. (2008). Potential of Rooted Suckers of Hybrid Tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum Mill.) Under Projected Culture. Annals of the Sri Lanka Department of Agriculture , 10:73-80.
- N.S.Senanayake, K.P.Somachandra, T.K.A.I.Hadji, K.D.M.Kularathna, A.Dharmasena. (n.d.). Stump Suckers as Planting Materials in Cabbage Cultivation.