Soil and Plant Nutrition Division - Research and Publications
|Title / Program||Objective||Expected outcome|
|Determination of N and K response on hybrid Capsicum||To develop fertilizer recommendation on hybrid vegetables, Objective of the year : To determine application of different rates of N and K on crop performances||New fertilizer recommendation for hybrid vegetables|
|Determination of N and K response on hybrid Brinjal||To develop fertilizer recommendation on hybrid vegetables||fertilizer recommendation on hybrid vegetables|
|Development of Suitable nutrient Management Package for quality Seed Production of Tomato||To develop best nutrient management package for quality Seed Production of Tomato Objective of the year: To test different nutrient management practices under field condition||Nutrient management package for quality seed production of Tomato|
|Soil calibration studies on Mg, S and Zn||To determine influence of application of Mg, S and Zn on vegetable crops||Requirement of Calcium / Mg|
|To determine effect of application of calcium nitrate on growth and yield under water stress condition||Necessity of Calcium under low water conditions|
|Determination of effect of application of Silicon on growth of Tomato under water stress and non water stress condition||To determine effect of application of Si on growth and yield under water stress and no water stress condition||Necessity of Si under water stress and conditions|
|Bio availability of Cadmium in soil from TSP fertilizers||To determine the bio availability of Cd in soil and plant accumulation due to TSP fertilizers in different vegetable crops||Data on Cd bio availability|
|Determination of bio availability of Lead and Cadmium in Soils in Major Vegetable grown areas in Sri Lanka||To assess level of contamination and bio availability of Cd and Pb in soil in major vegetable growing areas in Sri Lanka poses health risk.||Data on bio availability of trace elements|
|Effect of split Application of different Organic Fertilizer Sources on Vegetable under Organic Farming||To determine the effect of split application of different organic nutrient sources for growth and yield of vegetable crops||New recommendations for organic farming|
|Effect of Different rates of the Partially Burnt Rice Husk with Organic Manure on Vegetable Production under Organic Farming||To determine suitable rates of the partially burnt rice husk with organic manure on vegetable production under mix cropping system||Enhancement of soil quality|
|Effect of continuous application of compost on vegetable Yield (Observational experiment).||Monitor vegetable yields obtainable with compost, Monitor changes in soil characters due to continuous addition of compost.||Enhancement of soil quality|
|Screening of Different varieties in Vegetable Crops for Organic Farming under low input condition||To select best varieties of different vegetable crops for low input organic farming condition||Suitable vegetable varieties for organic farming|
|Development of field test kit for determine the Phosphorous in soil||To develop field test kit for P analysis in soil||Field test kit for P analysis|
|Determination of pesticide residues in vegetables collected from market by using rapid bio assay method||To determine pesticide residues in vegetables collected from market||Rapid methods for pesticides analysis|
|Testing of efficacy of the special fertilizers imported to country||To determine performance of the special fertilizers imported to the country||Preparations of quality fertilizer|
|Determination of Residual effect of Phosphorous from TSP Fertilizers||To determine the residual effects of the soil P to vegetables||Minimize the P accumulation in soil|
|Survey on farmer practices of fertilizer application in vegetables growing areas in Sri Lanka||To Determine effect of application of different fertilizers on vegetables||Data on farmer practices of fertilizer application and introduce correct fertilizer practices|
|Soil bio diversity assessment in vegetable cropping systems in different agro ecological zones for soil quality indexing||Quality assessment of vegetable grown soils in different agro-ecological zones depending upon microbial and chemical properties. 1.To identify abundance and diversity of crop beneficial microorganisms in vegetable systems in different agro ecological zones 2. To compare the identified diversity with the un-intervened natural systems presence in the same region. 3.Correlate the diversity with different influential factors and identification of most influential factors on the survival of beneficial groups||Implications on soil quality deterioration over time.|
|Isolation of vegetable crop specific nitrogen fixers for different vegetables||To isolate vegetable crop specific nitrogen fixers for different vegetables. to assess their efficacy in pot experiments and in field conditions||Promising nitrogen fixing inoculum for different vegetable crops, thereby reduction of usages of chemical nitrogen fertilizers|
|Development of specific phosphorus solubilizing microbial (PSM) inoculums to make use them in fixed phosphorus rich vegetable growing soils in wet and dry zone||To develop effective compatible phosphorus solubilizing microorganism (PSM) to solubilize fixed forms of phosphorus in vegetable growing fields. To upgrade ERP by incorporating P solubilizers, to apply for vegetable growing soils||Soil specific P solubilizing microbial inoculums (consist with compatible consortium of PSM)for dry and wet zone Improve ERP solubility and promotion of ERP usage in vegetable fields|
|Soil test kit /plant test kit based fertilizer recommendation at Gampaha District usage||To evaluate soil test kit/plant test kt based fertilizer recommendation.||To promote soil test kit /plant test kit based fertilizer recommendation for quick results|
|Application of Cinnamon and Karanda as Botanical nitrification Inhibitor(BNI) at farmers fields||To evaluate the effectiveness of Botanical formulation of cinnamon and karanda as BNI||Farmer adaptability of application of BNI|
|Application of Nitrogen fixing inoculum at farmer field for capsicum||To evaluate the effectiveness of Nitrogen fixing inoculum at farmer field for capsicum||Farmer adaptability of Nitrogen fixing inoculum|
|Studding the long term effects on soil physical properties and crop yield||Soil moisture conservation, reduction of compaction and energy conservation||Soil moisture and energy conservation and reduction of compaction of vegetable growing soil|
|Evaluation of different nutrient management practices on soil quality parameters.||Estimation changers of quality parameters due to nutrient management||Long term nutrients retention and soil quality improvement by Improving soil physical properties|
|Survey on assessing farmer fertilizer usage in vegetable growing area in Sri Lanka||Increasing fertilizer use efficiency, Reduction of cost of production||Reduction of over use of chemical fertilizer and introducing good agriculture practices|
- M. Nawarathna, N. R. N. Silva, and C. S. de Silva. (2019). Comparison of Efficiencies of Walkly and Black Titration Method and Colorimetric methods for the estimation of Soil Organic Matter in Sri Lanka. Proceeding of the Open University Research Sessions (OURS 2019).
- S. Senanayaka, N. R. N. Silva Silva, S. R. W. M. C. J. K Ranawana and A. N. R. Weerawansha Determination of Neurotoxic Pesticides Residues in Vegetables by Using Rapid Bioassay method. (2019) International Research Conference, Uva Wellassa University. 2019
- R. N. Silva (2019). Chapter 7. Integrated Plant Nutrition Systems Modules for Major Crops and Cropping Systems in Sri Lanka. Integrated Plant Nutrition Systems Modules for Major Crops and Cropping Systems in South Asia. SAARC Agriculture Center, SAARC
- Silva, N. R. N., C. P. Attanayaka, U.W.A. Vitharana, P Weerasinghe and E. N. K. S. Elamaldeniya. (2019). Effect of Soil pH and Organic matter contents on availability and Solubilty of Trace elements in Vegetable Growing soils of Sri Lanka. Proceedings of the ISSM.
- Renuka Silva. Organic Agriculture in Sri Lanka. Basic Agriculture Programmes on Construction of the Asian Network for Sustainable organic Farming Technology. 2019, Thailand
- Silva, N. R. N., Weerasinghe P. and Gunathilaka J. (2015) Water quality in Agro wells and surface water bodies in Anuradhapura District of Sri Lanka. Annals of Sri Lanka, Department of Agriculture 17:24-27
- Lakmali, W. G. S., Herath, H. M. s.S. K. and Silva N. R. N. (2015)Effect of Nitrogen Fertilization on Nitrate Accumulation in Radish (Raphunussativus) and Beetroot (Beta vulgaris). Sympossium , University of Sabaragamuwa
- Koralage I. S. A. , Weerasinghe, P., Silva, N. R. N. and De Silva, C. S. (2015) The Determination of Available Phosphorus in Soil: A Quick and Simple Method. OUSL Journal (2015) Vol. 8, (pp. 1-17)
- Silva, N. R. N. and Lathiff, M. A. (2013). Nitrate Content in Leafy Vegetables Grown under Organic and Conventional Farming. Annals of Sri Lanka, Department of Agriculture 15: 311-315
- Silva, N. R. N., Weerasinghe P., Yapa, W. S. P. , Wahundeniya I. and Gunathilaka J. (2012). Quality of Drinking water in The Anuradhapura District of Sri Lanka: A Case Study in Selected Villages. Annals of Sri Lanka, Department of Agriculture 14:145-159
- Weerasinghe P. and Silva, R. (2013). Fertilizers, Toxic Trace Elements and Food Crop Production in Sri Lanka.Proceedings of the Annual Scientific Session (Eds. B Marambe and L Nugaliyadde) Sri Lanka Organization of Agriculture Professionals (SLOAP), Peradeniya, Sri Lanka.
- Silva, N. R. N., Lathiff, M. A.and S. Maraikar (2007). Simplified Rapid Test Method for Assessing Available N, P and K Levels in Soil. J. Soil Sci. Soc. Sri Lanka, Vol. 19.
- Silva, N. R. N., S. Maraikar.and Lathiff, M. A (2005).Nitrate Nitrogen content of hydroponically and conventionally grown Vegetable Crops.Sri Lanka Association of the Advancement of Science. Proceeding of the 61st Annual Session
- Silva, N. R. N., S. Maraikar.andLathiff, M. A (2004).Evaluation of Rapid Micro chemical Methods for NPK aAnalysis in Soil.SriLanak Sri Lanka Association of the Advancement of Science. Proceeding of the 60th Annual Session.
- R. N. Silva, P. Weerasinghe and H. D. K. Rathnapriya (2016). Toxic Trace Elements in vegetables collected from Markets in Kandy district. Annals of Sri Lanka Department od Agriculture 18: 19-22.
- Priyantha Weerasinghe and Renuka Silva.Organic Agriculture in Sri Lanka.Basic Agriculture Programmes on Construction of the Asian Network for Sustainable organic Farming Technology. September 6-10, 2016, Nepal
- Senevirathna R.W.M.N.K., Silva N. R. N. ,Welegama, M. V. T. and Sanjeewa T. A. B. D (2017).Development of better nutrient management package for enhancing the quality of fruits and seeds of tomato under open field conditions. 9th annual Research Symposium Proceedings, Faculty of Agriculture, Rajarata University of Sri Lanka.
- Renuka Silva and Priyantha Weerasinghe Organic Agriculture in Sri Lanka.Basic Agriculture Programmes on Construction of the Asian Network for Sustainable organic Farming Technology. August 1-5, 2017, Kyrgystan
- Silva, N. R. N., Weerasinghe,P and Kodikara, K. M. S. and Wakwella P. (2018). Toxic trace elements in soils and edible parts of root and tuber crops in upcountry wet and intermediate zones of Sri Lanka. Tropical Agriculturist, Vol. 166(3)
- Silva, N. R. N., Weerasinghe,P, Nishantha, P. Mapagedara, D. and W. M. N. G. I. S. Wijesekara (2018). Assessment of Rapid Bioassay Techniques for detection of Insecticide Residues. SLCARP International A`gricultural Research Sympossium 13-14 August, Colombo, Sri Lanka. P. 11.
- Nawarathna, K.K.K., Dandeniya W.S., Dharmakeerthi, R.S., Weerasinghe, P. 2019. Evaluation of yield advantage of capsicum as affected by application of botanical formulations with nitrification inhibition potential. Intetnational Symposium on Sustainable Soil Management. NAICC, Kandy, Sri Lanka. 5-6 December 2019.
- Nawarathna, K.K.K., Dandeniya, W.S., Dharmakeerthi, R.S., Priyantha, P. 2019. Dynamics of nitrifiers in soils of intensively vegetable cultivated areas in Sri Lanka. Tropical Agricultural Research. 30(3): 5–68.
- A poster – Use of Nitrification Inhibitors to Suppress the Activity of Autotrophic Nitrifiers in Intensively Vegetable Cultivated Soils Hansika, K.D., Dandeniya, W.S.* and Nawaratna, K.K.K. Department of Soil Science, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Peradeniya
- Nawarathna K.K.K. and H.E.A.M. Wikramatathna, (2018), Soil microbial functional diversity evaluation as a soil quality assessment index, Annals of Sri Lanka Department of Agriculture 200 (133-137) – Short com
- Nawarathna K.K.K. Bacterial Bio inoculum as a renewable source of nitrogen for vegetable crops (2017) Annals of Sri Lanka Department of Agriculture 19 (2) 16-28
- K.K. Nawarathna 2(014) Bio fertilizers for vegetables: Annals of Sri Lanka Department of Agriculture 16:395
- Poster on”Value Addition on underutilized yam by K.K.K. Nawarathna and S. Ekanyaka, Horticultural Crops Research and Development Institutes, Gannoruwa, Department of Agriculture,
- Published articles in “Govikam Sangarawa” a magazineAn article on “Identify the risk of using higher temperature for food preparation (Sinhala)
- Published articles in “Govikam Sangarawa” a magazineAn An article on, “Daily consumption of fresh fruits and vegetables maintain our body healthy” (Sinhala)
- Preliminary agronomic evaluation of quinoa ( Chenopodium quinoa willd.) in Up Country Intermediate Zone of Sri Lanka Y.L.B. Pavithrani, K.G.U.W.ijewardhane andJ.D.Ariyarathne….