Conducting field days in the Department of Agriculture 26.07.2023
Field Day of the Polonnaruwa Seed Production Farm
This field day was conducted based on the following 3 objectives.
- Sharing the field and management experience gained in the Polonnaruwa farm with the farmers.
- Educate the public about basic seed production
- To educate the public about the contribution of the Polonnaruwa Seed Production Farm to local agriculture
School students, farmers and officials were informed about the following matters.
- Plant Nursery – Transplantation, preparation of soil mixtures, maintenance of plants etc.
- Supplementary Food Crop Cultivation – Presentation on additional food crop varieties, characteristics of varieties and techniques used in seed production.
- Vegetable Cultivation – Presentation on okra, cucumber, eggplant seed production.
- Organic Fertilizer Production – Demonstration of organic fertilizer production methods, introduction of equipment used, etc
- Paddy Cultivation – Presenting facts about the 18 foundation varieties and 16 registered varieties produced by Polonnaruwa Seed Production Farm. Principles of seed paddy production and varietal characteristics were presented.
- Mechanical Section – Display of various types of equipment used in farming like ploughs, tractors, planters, weeding equipment, seed and paddy harvesting equipment.
- Students studying agriculture science in Polonnaruwa district in general level and advanced level
- Farmers, farmer organizations, cooperative societies and companies engaged in seed production.
- Officers of Seed and Planting Development Center Head Office, Regional Office and Farms.
- Public and private sector officials of Polonnaruwa district dealing with agriculture industry.
- Officers of other sections of the Department of Agriculture.