Welcome to Fruit Research and Development Institute (FRDI) - Horana
Fruit Crops in Sri Lanka
Consultation on planting and development of fruit orchards
Details about the researches that being carried out at our institute.
Transfer the new technologies which are developed by the research divisions to the officers, Crop Farmers, Students & Entrepreneurs...
Strategies – Selection and development of fruit crop varieties using both conventional and high tech breeding methods
Strategies-Revisiting and fine tuning of existing technologies and generation of new technologies for favorable and unfavorable fruit growing ecosystems
Strategies -Revisiting and fine tuning of existing technologies and generation of new plant protection technologies for fruit crops
Strategies – Revisiting and fine tuning of existing technologies and generation of new post-harvest and value addition technologies for fruit crops
Strategies – Timely supply of breeder seed and planting materials to SPMDC and others
Strategies – Use of communication approaches for the primary dissemination of fruit cultivation technologies
Promotion of commercial level fruit orchards
Encourage cottage level fruit industries
Technology and Services
Technologies and Services provided by our institute.
- Consultation on planting and development of fruit orchards.
- Provide advisory service on production technologies on fruit crop cultivation.
- Pest and disease diagnosis and advice on their managment in fruit crops.
- Human recourses development through collaboration with government and non-government organization.
- Supply of good quality planting materials of recommended fruit varieties.
Diagnostic & Other Services
About Diagnostic & Other Services...
Development of new varieties of other field crops (Chilli, Onion, maize, Fingermillet, Cowpea, Blackgram, Soybean, Mungbean, Groundnut and Sesame) through breeding programmes.
Maintenance of all the recommended crop varieties while assuring their qualities.
Providing breeder seeds of recommended crop varieties to the Seed and Planting Material Development Centre for the production of basic seeds.
Those who interest can be engaged in hybrid seed production by applying through the Director. Selected producers should make an agreement with the institute. Required technological instructions and seeds of parental lines will be provided.
Providing technical recommendations through research to increase the quantity and quality of the yield of other food crops.
Suitable fertilizer recommendations are provided for the farmers who cultivating other food crops by testing the soil condition. Rs.290/= should be paid per one soil sample. Cooperation of agricultural instructors can be gained for this.
- Publication of reports regarding the research done by the institute.
- Distribution of booklets, handbills, magazines and DVDs including technological information by department outlets.
- Providing practical knowledge to the farmers by conducting field days.
- Organizing crop clinics to aware regarding the pests and disease problems and other field problems.
- Promote the technologies through television, radio, newspapers and internet (www.doa.gov.lk)
- Conducting lectures and training programmes for different groups including students and farmers.