Dr. D.G.C. Jeewani, Assistant Director of Agriculture (Research)
- G. Wijesinghe/Research Assistant
- R.W. Pushpakumara/Research sub Assistant
Current Research Programme
1. Groundnut variety improvement for
- high yielding, medium duration with red testa
- medium duration and large seeded
- small seeded with red testa
- high yielding, short duration groundnut varieties having better farmer preference
- high yielding, medium duration and large seeded groundnut lines for
2. Breeders seed production of groundnut varieties
3. Multiplication of groundnut varieties and promising groundnut lines.
4. Gerrmplasm evaluation of heat tolerant wheat accessions
- Development of high yielding(>3000 kg/ha), different age groups (3 months, 3.5 months, 4 months), different seed size (small, medium and large), pest, disease and drought tolerant groundnut varieties through breeding and selection program
- Molecular breeding
- Development of wheat lines/varieties suitable for Sri Lanka
- Jeewani, D.G.C., M. D. L. C. Nishantha, J. Wenhui, L. Tianxiang, N. Wenzhi, W. Zhonghua. 2019, High throughput mapping and transcriptome analyses revealed the controlling gene of blue wheat grains, Tropical Agriculture (Accepted for publication).
- Jiahuan Wang., D.G. C. Jeewani, Zhonghua Wang. 2019. Composition and morphology of cuticular waxes on the spikes, flag leaf blades and flag leaf sheaths of wheat (Triticum aestivum), International Journal of Agriculture and Biology.21:1249-1255, doi: 10.17957/IJAB/15.1018.
- Kodithuwakku P., D.G.C. Jeewani, L.M.H.R. Alwis, H.M.S.K. Herath. 2019. Screening of Arachis hypogaea (Groundnut) breeding lines for seed size and short duration under rain fed conditions, In proceeding of the International Research Conference 7-9 February, Uva Wellassa University, Sri Lanka. 293p (Abstract)
- Lijiang Hou., Aihua Zhang, Ruochen Wang, Peng Zhao, Dongzhi Zhang, Yujie Jiang, D.G. C. Jeewani, Xiaoming Wang, Zhongfu Ni, Shenbao Xu. 2019. Brassinosteroid regulates root development with highly redundant genes in hexaploid wheat, Plant and Cell Physiology. pcz088, https://doi.org/10.1093/pcp/pcz088.
- Jiang W., T. Liu, W. Nan , D.G.C. Jeewani, Y. Niu , C. Li , Y. Wang , X. Shi , C. Wang , J. Wang , Y. Li, X. Gao , Z. Wang. 2018. Two Transcription Factors TaPpm1 and TaPpb1 Co-Regulate the Anthocyanin Biosynthesis in Purple Pericarp of Wheat, Journal of Experimental Botany. 69 (10) 2555-2567. DOI: 10.1093/jxb/ery101.
- Jeewani D.G.C., M.D.L.C. Nishantha. 2018. Blue Wheat: Genetics, Healthy Value, and Food Processing, Scholars journal of Agriculture and Veterinary Sciences. 5（4）230-235. DOI:10.21276/sjavs.2018.5.4.7.
- Nishantha, M.D.L.C., Z. Xian, D.G.C. Jeewani, X. Guangwei, B. Jianxin, N. Xiaojun, S.Weining. 2018. Direct Comparison of β-Glucan Content in Wild and Cultivated Barley. International journal of food properties. 21(1) 2218-2228. DOI: 10.1080/10942912.2018.1500486
- Nishantha M.D.L.C., D.G.C. Jeewani, N. Xiaojun and S. Weining. 2018. Beta- Glucan: An Overview of it properties, Health benefits, Genetic background and Practical Applications, Scholars journal of Agriculture and Veterinary Sciences. 5（3）130-140. DOI:10.21276/sjavs.2018.5.3.2
- Nishantha M.D.L.C., Z. Xian, D.G.C. Jeewani, X. Guangwei ,B. Jianxin, N.Xiaojun, S.Weining. 2018. Comparative Analysis of β-Glucan Content in Wild and Cultivated Barley. The Indian Journal of Agricultural Sciences. 88(7) 1092-8.
- Wenzhi Nan., Shandang Shi., D.G.C. Jeewani, Li Quan, Xue Shi., Zhonghua Wang. 2018. Genome-Wide Identification and Characterization of wALOG Family Genes Involved in the Branch Meristem Development of Branching Head Wheat, Genes. 9, 510, doi:10.3390/genes9100510
- Jeewani D.G.C. and Wang Z., 2017. Recent Advances in Anthocyanin Biosynthesis in Colored Wheat, Research journal of biotechnology. 12(6)57-62.
- Jeewani D.G.C. and Wang Z., 2017. Grain Color Development and Segregation of Blue wheat, Research journal of biotechnology.12 (11) 40-45.
- Amarasinghe, Y.P.J., D.G.C. Jeewani, M.T. Gunasena, W.M.P.N. Dilusha, R.A.A. Ranatunga, G. Wijesinghe, G.T.N. Gunasekara and R.W. Pushpakumara. 2016. A promising early maturing confectionary type groundnut variety (Arachis hypogaea L.) well adaptable to local cropping systems in Sri Lanka. Annals of the Sri Lanka Department of Agriculture. 18:74-77.
- Jeewani, D.G.C., A.W Gamini, M.H.U. Siriwardhana , D. Weerasekara , K.A.N.M. Kasthuriarachchi, G. Wijesinghe and C.H. Piyasiri. 2013. The promising groundnut (Arachis hypogaea l.) lines resistant to bud necrosis disease. Annals of the Sri Lanka Department of Agriculture. 15:59-65.
- Jeewani D.G.C., S.P. Bandara , N.P.S. De Silva , D. Weerasekara and W.S. Arunakanthi .2012. A Promising groundnut (Arachis hypogaea L.) line developed through hybridization and selection. Annals of the Sri Lanka Department of Agriculture. 14:41-46.
- Jeewani D.G.C., 2011. Enhancing Oilseed Production through Improved Technology in Sri Lanka. In Enhancing oilseed production through improved technology in SAARC Countries, pp.153-167. N. Akter, K.S. Varaprasad and A. K. Azad (eds.). SAARC Agriculture Centre (SAC), Bangladesh.
Dr. U. Ishara Priyadarshani Perera, Assistant Director of Agriculture (Research)
Current Research Programme
- Development of high yielding disease tolerant white/black seeded sesame
- Breeder’s seed production of sesame
- Genetics and plant breeding of oil crops
- Rice genetics and breeding
- Perera, I., Ayaka Fukushima, Tatsuki Akabane, Genki Horiguchi, Saman Senseweera and Naoki Hirotsu. 2019. Expression regulation of myo inositol 3-phosphate synthase 1 (INO1) in determination of phytic acid accumulation in rice grain, Scientific reports,9:14866. doi.org/10.1038/s41598-019-51485-2
- Perera, I., Ayaka Fukushima, Mako Arai, Kenta Yamada, Seiji Nagasaka, Saman Seneweera and Naoki Hirotsu. 2019. Identification of low phytic acid and high Zn bioavailable rice (Oryza sativa L.) from 69 rice accessions of the world rice core collection, J of Cereal Science, 85:206-213. doi.org/10.1016/j.jcs.2018.12.010
- Perera, I., Saman Seneweera and Naoki Hirotsu. 2018. Manipulating the Phytic Acid Content of Rice Grain Toward Improving Micronutrient bioavailability, Rice, 11:4 DOI 10.1186/s12284-018-0200-y
- Perera, U.I.P., K.K.J. Chandika and D. Ratnasekera. 2017. Genetic variation, character association and evaluation of mungbean genotypes for agronomic and yield components, J of National Science Foundation, 45 (4): 347 – 353.
- Naoki Hirotsu, Kazuhiro Ujiie, I. Perera, Ayano Iri, Takayuki Kashiwagi and Ken Ishimaru. 2017. Partial loss-of-function of NAL1 alters canopy photosynthesis by changing the contribution of upper and lower canopy leaves in rice, Scientific Reports 7: 15958.DOI:10.1038/s41598-017-15886-5
- Ratnasekera, D., U.I.P. Perera and A.P.T. Subashi. 2015. Impact of Soil Seed Bank Dynamics on Weedy Rice Distribution and Farmer Involvement in Management: Case Study in Marata District, Sri Lanka, Journal of Agri Search 2(4): 251-256.
- Zhuoxian He, Xiaoqi Jiang, D. Ratnasekera, Fabrizio Grassi, U.I.P. Perera and Bao-Rong Lu. 2014. Seed-mediated gene flow promotes within-population genetic variation of weedy rice: Implications for weed management, PLOS ONE 9(12): e112778.doi:10. 1371/journal.pone.0112778.
- U.I.P. Perera and R.W. Pushpakumara. 2014. Multivariate Analysis of some Sesame (Sesamum indicum L.) accessions based on quantitative characteristics. Journal of Agri Search 1(4):201-205.
- Perera, U.I.P., D. Ratnasekera, S.G.J.N Senanayake, S. de Z. Abeysiriwardena. 2014. Genetic Parameters and Correlations of Yield Attributing Characteristics of Weedy Rice in Sri Lanka, Journal of National Science Foundation, 42 (4): 311-319.
- Ratnasekera, D., U.I.P. Perera, Zhuo Xian He, Senanayakage G.J.N. Senanayake, Gamage, A.W. Wijesekara and Xiao Yang and Bao Rong Lu. 2013. High level of variation among Sri Lankan weedy rice populations, as estimated by morphological characterization. Weed Biology and Management. 14: 68-75.
- Subashi, D., Ratnasekera and U.I.P. Perera. 2013. Morphological variability pattern of Sri Lankan weedy rice – an ecological appraisal, Journal of Hill Agriculture 4(1): 8-15.
- Perera, U.I.P., AP Bentota, D. Ratnasekara and G. Senanayake. 2013. Heterosis in F1 generations of two indica rice crosses for growth and yield characteristics. Journal of Agricultural Sciences, Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka. 8(3): 136-141.
- Bentota, A.P., D. Ratnasekera, S.G.J.N. Senanayake and U.I.P. Perera. 2013. Genetic variability, genetic advance and correlation for yield, yield components and some agronomic traits in weedy rice (Oryza sativa L. f spontanea) in Sri Lanka Proceedings of 7th International Rice Genetics Symposium, Manila, Philippines. P451
- Perera, U.I.P., D. Ratnasekera and S.G.J.N Senanayake. 2013. Distribution variation, cultural practices and farmer involvement in weedy rice management in Matara district. Proceedings of the 10th Academic Sessions of the University of Ruhuna, Sri Lanka
- Perera, U.I.P., D. Ratnasekera, S.A.P. Madurangi, S.G.J.N. Senanayake, AP Bentota and G.A.W. Wijesekara. 2012. Genetic Divergence of Sri Lankan weedy rice based on quantitative morphological traits. Tropical Agriculturist, Sri Lanka. 160: 41-54.
- Perera, U.I.P., A.P. Bentota, D. Rathnasekera and S.G.J.N. Senanayake. 2012. F1 heterosis and genetic effects for agronomic characteristics related to yield in two indica rice crosses, Sri Lanka-India Conference on Agro Biotechnology for sustainable Development (ABSD), Colombo, Sri Lanka. pp 80.
- Perera, U.I.P., D. Ratnasekera and S.A.P. Madurangi. 2012. Diversity and in-situ morphological characterization of weedy rice in selected locations of Sri Lanka. Proceedings of the International Forestry and Environmental Symposium 2012, University of Sri Jayawardhanapura, Sri Lanka. pp 35.
- Perera, U.I.P., D. Rathnasekera, S.A.P. Madurangi, S.G.J.N. Senanayake and A.P. Bentota. 2012. Distribution and Diversity of Weedy Rice (Oryza sativa f spontanea) populations in Matara district. Proceedings of the International symposium on Agriculture and Environment (ISAE, 2012) Faculty of Agriculture, University of Ruhuna, Sri Lanka.
- Madurangi, S.A.P., D. Ratnasekera, U.I.P. Perera and S.G.J.N. Senanayake. 2011. Resistance of weedy rice (Oryza sativa f. spontanea) to Brown plant hopper: Nilaparvata lugens (stal) in Sri Lanka. International Symposium (ISAE 2011), Faculty of Agriculture, University of Ruhuna. pp 127.
- Perera, U.I.P., D. Ratnasekera, S.G.J.N. Senanayake. 2010. Morphological Diversity of Weedy Rice accessions Collected in Ampara. Proceedings of the 15th International Forestry and Environmental Symposium, University of Sri Jayawardhanapura, Sri Lanka.