Rice-the staple food-Pests of Rice
A pest of young rice seedlings. Adult and nymphs suck the cell sap from leaf tissues. Damaged leaves roll inwards along the margins, feeding cause leaf drying and leads to a poor crop growth.
- The damage is severe under water stress conditions.
- Late planted crops are more prone for damage.
Resistant Rice varieties for thrips;
- Short-age traditional rice varieties such as;
- Varieties having a higher trichome density on the leaf surface, such varieties are found to be resistant for Thrips.
- Submerge infested crops intermittently for 1-2 days.
- Drag a wet cloth on the seedlings.
- If the control of pest if difficult, then apply recommended insecticides.
- If plants are grown in endemic areas, a recommended seed-dressing formulation could be used.
- Seasonal cultivation.