Rice-the staple food-Crop Establishment
How do we perform wet seeding
- Pre-germinated seeds are used as the planting material.
- Pre germinated seeds are broadcasted in to the field.
- In rows (manually or using mechanical seeders).
- Seed rate – ~400 seeds per square meter.
- After seeds are sown, field is intermittently wetted to avoid desiccation.
- Water is impounded to the field to about 2cm height, about a week after sowing (5 cm tall seedlings).
What are the important factors that need special attention?
- Stand establishment may be affected by various factors and result variable seedling densities in the field, such as,
- quality of seeds
- seed vigor
- quality of land preparation
- weed competition
- water management
- environmental conditions (e.g. rainfall during the initial period after sowing)
- physical damages
- Use of seed paddy with a good seed vigor may help overcoming these issues.
- Row seeding will assit
- mechanical control of weeds.
- better crop management.
- optimum seedling density in the field.
- However, row seeding is practiced in limited scale because of the cost and the difficulty in obtaining implements.