Rice-the staple food- Crop Establishment
How do we perform dry seeding?
- Ungerminated (dry) seeds are used as planting material.
- Field is usually devoid of water.
- Seeds are sawn on to dry soil (Also known as “Kekulan” or “Manawari” method).
- Sowing is done either in rows or in a random manner.
- Required seed rates varie with
- severity of the environmental conditions.
- potential physical damages to the seeds.
- Seed rates could also be adjusted to control weed infestation levels (from 150 kg/ha to 300 kg/ha).