Rice-the staple food-Land Preperation
- Initial and most important step in rice crop establishment.
- Aims the physical development of edaphic environment to achieve an optimum plant growth after the seed or seedling establishment.
- This facilitates:
- enhanced root growth
- mixing of soil layers thereby, increasing availability of residual fertilizer
- weed management
- improvement of soil by increasing organic matter content
- reduction of percolation losses of water and nutrients
- management of some pests and diseases by disrupting the life stages living/ survived in soil
- Two (02) main methods of land preparation based on the use of water.
- Wet land preperation – if fields are flooded with water prior to land preparation.
- Dry land preperation – if tillage is done on dry land.
- Constitutes a series of tillgae steps.