- Maintained on a flat surface.
- If low land paddy field is used, water supply/control has to be reliable.
- Should be about 1/20 of the transplantable land.
Construction of the seed bed
- Seed beds are constructed on impermeable material to avoid root penetration.
- banana leaves (mid rib removed)
- poly ethylene sheets / any flexible material
- cemented floors
- Seed bed is leveled, and the centre is raised slightly than the edges to facilitate water drainage.
- To prevent uneven growth, germinating seeds should be
- splashed with water
- pressed down by hand or with a wooden flat board
- twice a day, both in the morning and afternoon
- up to 3-4 days
- Too much watering should be avoided.
- More frequent irrigation is necessary if seed were sown without the bedding.