Services Rendered by Pathology Division
Inspection of import/export cargo of plant, & plant products
In situ – Random sampling and visual observation
At Laboratory – Culturing and other tests
- Inspection of plant nurseries and production fields
- Identification of diseases
All the disease identification techniques universally accepted are followed on requirement
- Auditing export vegetable nurseries
- Advisory services for plant nursery men/ coir exporters
- Conducting training and awareness programmes
- Studies on the diseases of imported seed potatoes
- Research activities related to plant quarantine
Identification of pathogens
- Export consignments – foliage, coir, vegetables, fruits, flowers
- Import consignments
- Submitted samples by nursery men
- Visual Observation
- Microscopic Observation
- Humid Chamber Method
- Culture Plate Method
- Bio-chemical tests
- Ooze test
- Molecular Techniques
Samples check for disease symptoms and for any disorder by naked eye.
Light and inverted microscope is used to identify the fungal pathogens
Humid Chamber Method
Live samples are kept at the chamber under high RH conditions to facilitate the sporulation.
Grown spores and mycelium observed under the microscopic contions.
Culture Plate Method
Samples with disease symptoms are culture on nutrient media to facilitate the pathogen growth.
Basically practice for bacterial identification
Organisms utilize different organic compounds for their metabolisms and colour reactions, solidification or liquefication of media are used to distinguish the pathogenic group.
Used to identify viruses based on antibody and enzymatic reactions
Any type of pathogen can be identified with high precision by using this tool. Specific primers are employed in identification.