Bio security and International Relations Division
This division is an age long requirement for the National Plant Quarantine Service, and was established in late 2015. It implements all foundation mandates of a National Plant Protection Organization.
The functions of this division are implemented in common by the technically sound officers of the other technical divisions, whenever required, such as
- Pest risk analysis for a commodity which is expected to be introduced to Sri Lanka, and define the import phytosanitary requirements of the commodity
- Develop and upgrade, lists of quarantine pests
- Upgrading the Quarantine laws and regulations
- Surveillance and surveys on pests present in Sri Lanka, collection of data, record keeping, reporting and made them available for the interested parties.
- Providing information on pests of a particular product for a country interested to import the same from Sri Lanka
- Conflict resolution with other countries on Phytosanitary issues
- Management of other International relations
Note: To obtain any services on negotiations with other countries (only on phytosanitory issues), a person has to make an official
request to the Additional Director, National Plant Quarantine Service, Katunayake
(contact details: 0112 225 2028)